Monday 25 August 2014

Ginger Beer Plant


I bought some ginger beer plant culture a few weeks ago via the internet. I love the idea of cultured and fermented foods and this one was another to play with.

The beer plant came dehydrated for ease of transport and I let it settle in sugared watered overnight to activate again.

I played around with a few recipes and I have settled on my favourite; ginger & lime !



To make 2 litres:

250 g sugar
Juice of three limes
7 cm of ginger
Tablespoon of ginger beer plant culture

Strain the juice of the limes into a large glass jar and add the ginger, grated in a muslin or finely sliced loose.
Add the sugar and then some boiling water, and allow to sit for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
Make up the balance with cool water.
Add the ginger beer culture.
Cover the jar with a cloth and elastic band to keep out flies.
Leave it to ferment for 3-5 days.

Pour it into clean bottles and add a half teaspoon of sugar to each bottle to allow for a second ferment. This will produce the fizz. Make sure your bottles are of a good standard and will be able to handle the pressure as it builds. After 2-3 days store them in the fridge. This slows down the fermentation process.





2 comments:

  1. Ooooooooo......I love ginger beer, ginger wine, ginger biscuits, in fact anything with ginger in does it for me! I made ginger beer once and put it into my airing cupboard to ripen. Unfortunately I forgot about doing so when I was showing possible house buyers round the house. Their faces when I opened the air cupboard door seconds after the ginger beer bottles had exploded was a picture!
    But I didn't know about the ginger beer plant you spoke about....am just off onto the internet to find out more....enjoy your ginger beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vera,
      The gbp is alway growing. I would happily send you some gingery goodness, if you email me your address :-)

      Delete

I love to receive comments and feedback...