Tuesday 13 August 2013

August update



As the evenings are getting shorter and cooler, we are trying to make the most of the weather by getting out on the lake as much as possible.
I need to buy dry suits for the winter, so we can keep going out on the water. It is breathtakingly beautiful. 


When I was feeding the hens yesterday morning, I found a dead hen sitting in her nest. There is no sign of injury or disease and I can't remember what age she might be. She might have died from old age, but I can't be sure.


I can now add beans to the daily veg basket. I can't remember the varieties that I planted but they have done well in the tunnel and I am looking forward to reclaiming space in the there for winter seedlings. 
I have given the 'forest' in the tunnel a serious pruning. The air is moving more freely and light is filtering through.
I have far too many tomatoes plant which I might have to thin out. I am waiting for the sweet corn to fully ripen and to harvest the rest of the beans. 


I am very late with winter planting in the tunnel but I have the door beds planted with beetroot, turnips, kale, winter greens and cabbages. 
The onions are not dry yet as it is raining too much. I will need to move them into the shed to help dry them out fully before storing them. 


As you can see, the courgettes are still produces well. I am almost sick of courgettes now. I have another batch of soup to make from this lot.
They may look small in the photo, but they are massive!
And there is twice as many in the tunnel that need harvesting again tomorrow. And another batch of soup tomorrow !


We are going cow shopping later this week. To a farm about an hour away that milk 120 jersey and jersey x holstein.
We will have our pick of heifers and cows to choose from to replace MamaMoo.


I will be sorry to see her gone, but pleased to have a younger fresher cow in her place.
MamMo is drying herself off now and is only producing 4-5litres a day now. And is empty and infertile. She will be brought to the factory at some point this month.


The pigs are doing well and putting on great weight. We expect them to make butcher weight by the end of September.  They will be replaced by another batch of weaners as soon as they go.






4 comments:

  1. Hi Marie,
    Love the blog. What type of pigs do you have? Will you get much return/good meat quality from finishing a old dairy cow like yours. Keep us informed of your adventures getting the new one in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lennie,
    The pigs are saddlebacks. We will try a different breed next time just for a change. The cows meat will be graded at the factory. I imagine it will go for mince products etc. But the money for her will make the next cow cheaper ;-)
    I will let you know how we get on at the jersey farm. We are waiting for my brother in law ( the farms vet ) to bring us out and he is alway so busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Organic ghee

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. cultured ghee vs ghee

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and feedback...