Tuesday 16 July 2013

Caterpillar invasion


Caterpillar are everywhere in the veg garden!
I can tolerate many things but caterpillar freak me out! Even the thought of them give me goosebumps.
We have green ones, dark one and hairy ones. Aarrgghhh!!

I enlisted hubby's help yesterday evening to remove five wheelbarrow loads of caterpillar infested veg. The pigs were delighted, extra protein for them. 

I have been going around the garden every evening with a scissor, and cutting them from the emerging cauliflower and broccoli. 
They have made an appearance in the polytunnel . First at the peas, which again hubby pulled, as they were as good as finished producing and the pumpkins and tomatoes could do with the extra space. 

When I was watering the tunnel this morning, I found more caterpillars amongst the courgette flowers.

I don't say this lightly, but it might be time to consider a spray to kill them.


Otherwise the veg garden is doing well. We are picking new potatoes must days now and they taste lovely.
I picked our first tomato the other day. We have so many courgettes, cucumbers and marrows that we are giving them away to neighbours, not to mention the peas.
I pulled the shallots yesterday and we will pull the onions shortly as they have started to fall over. They will be dried out in the polytunnel and then plaited for use later in the year.



2 comments:

  1. We invested in a roll of enviromesh about 3 years ago, it's not cheap but lasts for years and years, covers everything so no spraying, lets light and rain through. Brilliant stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like just what we need for next season. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive comments and feedback...